Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - Printable Version
+- Custom Sims (http://customsims3.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Sims 3 Lots & Building (/forum-132.html)
+--- Forum: Building Challenges (/forum-149.html)
+--- Thread: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! (/thread-546.html)
Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - suzetter - 08-01-2011 06:55 PM
And the Winner is... Jaguawar! Congratulations!
Building Challenge # 3
Those Darn Kids!
Dear Custom Sims 3,
We recently held a town hall meeting to address certain problems we are all currently facing. Some of the residents mentioned (well raved actually) about how the team of builders at Custom Sims 3 were able to help them with creating their new homes. And we got to thinking that you all may be able to help us with the situation we currently face.
I don’t know if you are aware of what has been happening around here lately but I must confess that the adult citizenry of this town is at its wit’s end over recent events. We don’t know if it is the stress of the poor economy and world strife, something leaking into the water from the science lab, the alignment of the planets, or just an old-fashioned excess of adrenaline…but lately…our kids have gone bonkers! A number of residents say they will just scream out loud if they find one more burning brown paper bag in front of their doorstep. And don’t those kids know eggs are for omelets?
Ours is a peaceful, quiet little town and we have come to the conclusion that maybe we’re a little too quiet. Seems there are just not enough activities for the young ones. Kids certainly need to burn off all that energy and being caught in that stage between childhood and adulthood can be a very trying time so teens certainly need to blow off a little steam. Shoot, even the adults would welcome having a new place in town.
The decision was unanimous that we need a place that offered more activities to kids and teens so that we can divert them from this never ending stream of pranks. Occasional hi-jinks are to be expected but you can’t believe how wild they’ve been lately. And really, is there anything more nauseating than the smell of a stink bomb?
The town council voted unanimously to donate a 30 x 40 vacant lot and $195,000 simoleons to the creation of a new community lot that would be accessible to Sims of all ages but emphasize activities for kids and teens (especially the teens).
Due to city laws and building codes there are certain stipulations that must be adhered to:
1. The “Anti-Ageism Act of 2009” states that all non-commercial community lots must offer at least one activity for Sims of each age (toddler – elder). Though on this lot we are also seeking several activity options for kids and teens.
2. A minimum of 35% of the lot at street level must be a nature element (water, grass, dirt, etc).
3. No alcohol – we are a dry town. Juice bars and nectar registers are allowed.
4. No RHs of any kind. We passed the “Invisible Activity Ban” back in 2010.
5. The lot must offer social, recreational, and dining facilities.
6. Public outdoor seating (a minimum of one bench)
7. A music element – the Teens here really love their music.
8. No computer cafes. Sims spend enough time in front of their computers while at home.
9. Public Rest rooms
10. Outdoor lighting so it is a safe environment at night.
11. Public trash and recycle bins. We like to keep our town clean and green.
We know this is a far cry from building a home but the folks here feel that your team of builders are talented and ingenious enough to help us create a truly great and entertaining all-ages community lot with emphasis on activities for our young ones. We need you and the kids need you.
So we ask you and your team of builders – “Could you, would you, build a community lot to help us through this crisis?”
We humbly await your reply,
John Sim Peabody
Town Council President
Well Builders—what do you say? Can you create a community lot for this town that will suitably entertain their kids and teens and return their once peaceful town back to some semblance of normalacy?
Guildelines and Requirements:
30 x 40 Community Lot
$195,000 simoleons furnished (Revised budget 8/2/11)
1. At least one activity for Sims of each age (toddler – elder) but more than one activity for kids and teens.
2. 35% of the lot at street level must be a nature element (water, grass, dirt, etc). However, you can
build multi-level structures on this lot.
3. No alcohol bars. But Juice bars and nectar registers are allowed. You can still build a music club, dance club or lounge –you just can’t include an alcohol bar.
4. No RHs of any kind (diner, book store, tree houses, etc…) If there is activity not visible on screen it shouldn’t be on the lot.
5. The lot must offer social, recreational, and dining facilities. Exercise, shopping, and skilling are also allowed but not a requirement. It can be a mixed use lot – commercial and non-commercial. Though emphasis should be on the non-commercial aspects of the lot. Use of the registers is allowed if you wanted to add a swap shop or bookstore, etc. You can even add a make-over station. You just cannot add any RH elements. Dining – Sims must be able to eat on the lot so food registers, barbeques, and fridges are allowed.
6. Music – the lot must have an element of music and this can be anything from a boom box to a band stand.
7. No Computers on the lot.
8. Public outdoor seating (a minimum of one bench)
9. Restrooms – this is an all ages lot so don’t forget to include potty chairs for the toddlers along with toilets and sinks. And if you include an activity that would benefit from having a shower on the lot (gym, pool, etc) then please feel free to include that as well.
10. Outdoor lighting so it is a safe environment at night
11. Public trash and recycle bins (at least one of each).
You can use all EPS and SPs but NO CC in building this lot.
Please sign up by August 9, 2011 if you'd like to participate.
Please do not post any entries until I have closed the entrants list and posted the build deadline.
Once the thread is open for posting entries you will be able to post eight (8) 800 x 600 200kb files size pix. Your pix must included an overview shot of the lot along with floor plans for each level of any structures on the lot, and a street level (sim view) pic of the front of the lot. The rest of the pix can be of your choice. Always make sure there are no grid lines in your pix and post pix as attachments (not embedded in the copy or linked).
The entry list is now closed and people can begin posting their lot pix.
The deadline for posting your entry is August 23, 2011.
Please check that your lot meets all the requirements, that there is NO CC on your lot, and that your pix have no gridlines. The pix have to include a sim's eye front view of the lot (street level) and a overhead floor plan pic of each level/floor of the lot but the rest are your choice.
You can post eight (8) 800 x 600 200 kb file size photos of your lot. Photos should be attachments to your post and not embedded into the post or link to another site. Please do not photo collage the required photos and limit yourself to one photo collage picture.
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - lkandak - 08-01-2011 08:17 PM
Great idea :)
Please enter me!
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - suzetter - 08-01-2011 08:22 PM
lkandak -- Will do . Glad you are entering. You did a great job on the last challenge. :)
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - Dantes - 08-01-2011 10:31 PM
Interesting. I'm in. ;)
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - lkandak - 08-01-2011 11:17 PM
Thanks Suzetter! :)
EDIT: Also, when can we start posting and when is the deadline? Thanks.
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - suzetter - 08-01-2011 11:28 PM
I'll post that info once I have closed the participants list. No posting entries until then but people can begin working on their lots immediately.
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - shad0w - 08-02-2011 05:21 AM
Ok just a question What is RH stands for?
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - suzetter - 08-02-2011 08:08 AM
It stands for Rabbit Hole. So no rabbit holes can be used on the lot like the diner, bookstore, theater, tree house, etc. But you can have these types of places on your lot by non-RH means -- like creating your own theater, using a register to create a cafe or bookstore, etc.
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - shad0w - 08-02-2011 09:36 AM
Thank You, my mind wasn't working and couldn't figure out what is RH, I should of known that, well getting old and with that they say your memory goes also lol.
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - lkandak - 08-02-2011 10:01 AM
So we can have a (Just an example) Cafe there if we make our own building for it and have seats outside?
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - suzetter - 08-02-2011 10:50 AM
(08-02-2011 10:01 AM)lkandak Wrote: So we can have a (Just an example) Cafe there if we make our own building for it and have seats outside?
Provided it is not created using an RH or RH mod.
You can create an outdoor (or indoor) cafe using a food register.
Players without the WA registers can create a barbeque area or have picnic baskets or stick a fridge in a teen lounge (for example).
The point is sims must be able to have something to eat on the lot through non-RH means.
It would be also okay for players to use the LN food truck on the lot since sims don't disappear into them.
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - lkandak - 08-02-2011 10:58 AM
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - shad0w - 08-02-2011 05:50 PM
Ok can we call a town meeting to expand the funds to add another 100,000 to the total, I'm at 105k's already and all I have is a shell of a building and a furnished juice bar stage, ok just kidding, guess I have to go a cheaper route.
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - Dantes - 08-02-2011 07:28 PM
(08-02-2011 05:50 PM)shad0w Wrote: Ok can we call a town meeting to expand the funds to add another 100,000 to the total, I'm at 105k's already and all I have is a shell of a building and a furnished juice bar stage, ok just kidding, guess I have to go a cheaper route.
I agree with you. 125,000 is definitely not enough. Just a pool cost $15,000.
RE: Building Challenge # 3 - Those Darn Kids! - suzetter - 08-02-2011 07:54 PM
Sorry, I went by what most of my community lots cost furnished which is less than $125k (except for Solana Landgrab Mall - but that's a huge 30x64 lot.)
Okay Big Spenders (lol) -- part of the challenge is working within a budget but I don't want you to feel so strapped for cash that you can't include key elements so I'll add another $70k and raise the budget to $195,000. I know the instruments and building a stage are expensive if you're including them in your design.
And remember that 35% of the lot at street level must be a nature element.
The new budget is now $195,000 simoleons furnished.